Thematic Area: Climate Justice (CJ)
Focus Countries: North Africa (Algeria, Egypt, Morocco & Tunisia)
Reports to: Regional Director, MENA
Duty Station: Tunisia*
Hours: 40 per week
Deadline: 14 October 2022
Are you a capable People’s Manager? Would you like to work on designing and implementing green transformation programs? Are you passionate about a just Green Transition which is inclusive of local marginalized communities? Are you driven by a desire to contribute to private sector development in North Africa? Do you have exceptional analytical and communication skills? Then Hivos is looking for you!
Hivos is seeking an experienced Program Manager (PM) to oversee the implementation of two currently operating programs and ensure the scalability and continuity of the portfolio beyond its current 3 years available funding. The PM will directly manage between 4-5 staff in addition to coordinating and receiving support from 2-3 staff members who report to the heads of other departments.
With its relatively young population, in addition to the changes in the job market occurring due to the green transformation process in North Africa, more and more young people each year need to find a sustainable living.
As a response to this, Hivos MENA has developed and currently manages a portfolio of programs that aims to contribute to the creation of more economic opportunities for more than 19,000 young women and men between the ages of 15 and 35 years in North Africa within the Green Economy.
Our vision is to empower young men and women to find a decent job in the Green Economy which Hivos defines as future proof. Such economies are anticipated to continue growing and will require young people to have a new skill set that is not tackled within the traditional education systems. In order to ensure that economic inclusion of youth is included in this transformation process in North Africa and that there is an adequate value chain supporting their growth, Hivos also aims to stimulate the formation of innovation clusters that are feeding these economies with viable business solutions and is inclusive of youth.
To this end, Hivos MENA’s Climate Justice Programs portfolio aim to create more than 19,000 decent jobs for youth in the green economy. We specifically look to identify and support Small and Growing Businesses (SGBs) that can act as catalysts for green value chain micro clusters. By rapidly scaling such ‘champion’ SGBs, the CFJT and GW also scale the clusters of micro-suppliers & distributors, and micro-business clients around the SGB which will lead to the creation of new jobs, improve conditions of existing ones and connect unemployed youth with job opportunities.
The Current Portfolio of Programs around climate justice is the continuation of previous programmes Hivos has been implementing in North Africa over the past five years: Mideast Creatives from 2014 to 2016, Co-Working for Sustainable Employment from 2016 to 2018 and Boosting Bottom-Up Societal Transformation (BOOST) in 2019. This collective endeavour has successfully supported more than 25 collaborative spaces in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia, and has helped to create more than 200 new businesses, scale more than 100 others and create more than 5,000 new job opportunities.
To learn more about Hivos’ direction in Climate Justice, reference is made to Hivos’ Strategic Compass 2021-2024 document (https://hivos.org/document/strategic-compass-2021-2024/ ).
*The position is based in Tunisia, and should relocation be required, this can occur by mid-2023, with regular travel expected until then. Qualified candidates from the region are welcome to apply.
- Program Design and Business Development (35%): Constantly seeking opportunities to scale the CJ portfolio programs under Hivos MENA and ensuring continuity of donor funded programs beyond current funds.
- Setting Portfolio Strategy: Set the annual strategic direction of the portfolio in terms of design and fundraising and ensure the strategic alignment of the portfolio and Hivos’ Global Strategic Compass.
- External positioning: Act as the Hivos ambassador of the portfolio; promote Hivos MENA’s CJ agenda in professional forums by sharing and profiling practice-based results, experiences and proposes and delivers sustainable solutions.
- Network Building: Establish and maintain good relationships with stakeholders regionally and globally when relevant including current and potential donors, current and potential future partners and other strategically relevant organizations (civil society, government, private sector, development partners and media).
- Proposal Development: Lead the proposal development process (in coordination with the Business Development Unit) for the extension of existing programs or the development of new programs under the CJ portfolio.
- Monitoring Regional Eco-System: Keep track of relevant programs, and donors contributing to the green transition efforts in the region, and capitalizing on potential synergies when relevant.
- Program Management (55%): Manage program teams, ensure programs are delivering on their KPIs and adhering to their budgets as per agreements with our donors.
- Delivery of program results: Oversees the implementation and coherence of the programs under the Climate Justice Portfolio; secures stakeholder/donor satisfaction through implementation according to contracts in terms of results, budget and competencies.
- Team Management: Leads, motivates, trains, appraises, guides and/or inspires staff and enables effective teamwork, achieves objectives, and works according to Hivos’ guiding principles.
- Partners Management: Oversees and later on approves the Senior Program Officers’ (SPOs) identification and selection of local implementing partners and the activities they will implement; ensuring in the process (1) strategic relevance of interventions, (2) Budget adherence to donor’s requirements and (3) the local ownership is vested in the proposed intervention as part of Hivos’ exit strategy.
- Budget Management: The PM is the budget holder of all portfolio programs. Accordingly, he/she leads the budget distribution decision process in collaboration with the finance and program colleagues.
- Donor and Internal Reporting: The PM is responsible for the final submission of all internal and external reports (Technical and Financial). This occurs with the direct support from finance and program colleagues.
- Representation (10%): With support from RD, the PM involved in set-up and expansion of Tunisia operations, and represents Hivos with donors’ government and other non-program entities as needed.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, sustainable development, environmental studies, climate governance or another relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant and demonstrable experience in program management in the field of entrepreneurship/private sector development, with at least 4 years with Green Sectorial focus.
- Substantial years of experience working in an NGO context, with international NGO experience in particular a strong advantage.
- Work experience or affinity with roles of business accelerators, incubators or similar BDSOs required
- Substantial experience and proven track record in managing project implementation and working in teams, including managing both private sector and NGO partners (sub grantees).
- Substantial experience and demonstrable experience with managing project budgets, including supporting finance in monitoring partner budgets.
- Experience in people management, including managing teams.
- Demonstrated ability to play a representative role with key stakeholders and oversee key operations functions.
- Strong knowledge of donor and program compliance, and ability to enforce best practices.
- Demonstrable experience and proven track record to reach out to national and international governments, other stakeholders and partners.
- Possess regional networks relevant to the theme and geographical scope.
- Keen understanding of country political and social dynamics in MENA in the programs’ focus countries; analytical and conceptual skills, and ability to translate these into relevant and timely actions
- Demonstrable respect for all persons regardless of religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity or gender, with a high comfort level working in a diverse environment with a demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards.
- Excellent verbal, writing and communication skills in English and Arabic, with French as a strong advantage.
- Excellent networking, relationship building and negotiation skills;
- Other high level skills: leadership, management and organization, collaboration, positive attitude, team player, proactiveness, multi-tasking, and flexibility.
- Willingness and able to travel to focus countries with ease and as required.
- Willingness to relocate to Tunisia by mid-2023.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment is offered for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Depending on your experience and skills, your salary will be in accordance with the salary scale applicable to the office where you will be based. For non-residents of Tunisia, additional benefit will be provided to support re-location.
How to apply
Please apply by 14 October 2022. You must submit both a letter of motivation/cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and resume/CV in English.
Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record in their CV and description in cover letter that matches the requirements of the position elaborated above.